Key Mappings in 1.02

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

If you look at Settings.xml you can see that there is a mapping table between keys and commands.

You can map any single key to any command (you can map multiple keys to the same command, but not a single key to multiple commands).

Currently, the full list of supported commands is the in the Settings.xml file.

To specify a key, you can always use the hexadecimal representation for the virtual key code passed in wParam of WM_KEYDOWN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx)

Or you can use one of the following key names:

Code: Select all

"Backspace"
"Tab"
"Clear"
"Return"
"Shift"
"Control"
"Menu"
"Pause"
"Capital"
"Kana"
"Junja"
"Final"
"Kanji"
"Escape"
"Convert"
"NonConvert"
"Accept"
"ModeChange"
"Space"
"PageUp"
"PageDown"
"End"
"Home"
"Left"
"Up"
"Right"
"Down"
"Select"
"Print"
"Execute"
"Snapshot"
"Insert"
"Delete"
"Help"
"0"
"1"
"2"
"3"
"4"
"5"
"6"
"7"
"8"
"9"
"A"
"B"
"C"
"D"
"E"
"F"
"G"
"H"
"I"
"J"
"K"
"L"
"M"
"N"
"O"
"P"
"Q"
"R"
"S"
"T"
"U"
"V"
"W"
"X"
"Y"
"Z"
"LWindows"
"RWindows"
"Apps"
"Sleep"
"Numpad0"
"Numpad1"
"Numpad2"
"Numpad3"
"Numpad4"
"Numpad5"
"Numpad6"
"Numpad7"
"Numpad8"
"Numpad9"
"NumpadStar"
"NumpadPlus"
"NumpadSeparator"
"NumpadMinus"
"NumpadPeriod"
"NumpadSlash"
"F1"
"F2"
"F3"
"F4"
"F5"
"F6"
"F7"
"F8"
"F9"
"F10"
"F11"
"F12"
"F13"
"F14"
"F15"
"F16"
"F17"
"F18"
"F19"
"F20"
"F21"
"F22"
"F23"
"F24"
"NumLock"
"ScrollLock"
"FJ_Jisho"
"FJ_Masshou"
"FJ_Touroku"
"FJ_Loya"
"FJ_Roya"
"BrowserBack"
"BrowserForward"
"BrowserRefresh"
"BrowserStop"
"BrowserSearch"
"BrowserFavorites"
"BrowserHome"
"VolumeMute"
"VolumeDown"
"VolumeUp"
"MediaNext"
"MediaPrev"
"MediaStop"
"MediaPlay"
"LaunchMail"
"LaunchMediaSelect"
"LaunchApp1"
"LaunchApp2"
"SemiColon"
"Equal"
"Comma"
"Minus"
"Period"
"Slash"
Note: Many of the above key names refer to non-English keyboards, so they may not work for you. You will have to do some experimenting.

I'd appreciate it if someone could put this information on the Wiki.[/url]
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I see there will be ToggleEnableDevice00 through ToggleEnableDevice32 soon. I was wondering if we could do that with invoking items also. That way we could tie script with a key.

A separate idea when invoking an item with a key it could be tied to multiple keys. Would it be possible to tell in script what key was used?
Crying is not a proper retort!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Yes, I want to do that--though it wont make it for 1.03.

I think it will have to be done as follows:

1. A mod will define a new "command" (by name) and add some code to it. When the command is invoked, the code is run (which could then invoke an item). Each command name must be unique (with respect to other mods), or the mod won't load.

2. A mod can request a binding between a command and a key. But if two mods request the same key, then the game will arbitrarily assign a different key to one of the mods.

3. The help system will have to show the new commands and the bindings. Plus we need functions to request the list of custom commands and their bindings.

4. A user can override the above by binding any command to any key using the normal method.

As you can see, this is not entirely trivial, so it may take a while. If anyone can think of a simpler scheme that would still be useful, I'd love to hear it.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

What about mangling command names to avoid conflicts?

Suppose two mods define a command "dostuff" one has the mod UNID DEF012300 and the other EF012300. They could then be differentiated in the configuration file as "DEF012300_dostuff" and "EF012300_dostuff".
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Atarlost wrote:What about mangling command names to avoid conflicts?

Suppose two mods define a command "dostuff" one has the mod UNID DEF012300 and the other EF012300. They could then be differentiated in the configuration file as "DEF012300_dostuff" and "EF012300_dostuff".
what a modname? instead of modying unid
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I think having a mod "request" a binding is unnecessary. It should be enough that the user can simply define this binding himself. The mod should provide a readme that states high and clear that it provides a command that can be bound to an arbitrary keyof the users choice. What if the mod requests a key that I have already usedin my settings. Then we will have to deal with clobbering issues there also, ending up with the mods command on an entirely different key, defeating the purpose of defining one in the first place.

I say, YAGNI and KISS should prevail here. :)
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ttech wrote:
Atarlost wrote:What about mangling command names to avoid conflicts?

what a modname? instead of modying unid
Mod's always have UNIDs. They don't always have names.
alterecco wrote:I think having a mod "request" a binding is unnecessary. It should be enough that the user can simply define this binding himself. The mod should provide a readme that states high and clear that it provides a command that can be bound to an arbitrary keyof the users choice. What if the mod requests a key that I have already usedin my settings. Then we will have to deal with clobbering issues there also, ending up with the mods command on an entirely different key, defeating the purpose of defining one in the first place.

I say, YAGNI and KISS should prevail here. :)
Default keybindings are needed in order to support adventure extensions, which, being exclusive, can use interfering key assignments.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote: Default keybindings are needed in order to support adventure extensions, which, being exclusive, can use interfering key assignments.
I fail to see why adventure extensions should require keybindings. Being mods that are downloaded and placed in the Extensions folder they fall under the same rules as any other mod. It is up the the player to make sure he does not willfully break the adventure mod, and if it provides any particular commands, he could/should bind these in his settings.xml. That could easily be stated in a readme, and would not require mucking about with handling keys clobbering other (which can not be handled very good in any case).
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

alterecco wrote:
Atarlost wrote: Default keybindings are needed in order to support adventure extensions, which, being exclusive, can use interfering key assignments.
I fail to see why adventure extensions should require keybindings. Being mods that are downloaded and placed in the Extensions folder they fall under the same rules as any other mod. It is up the the player to make sure he does not willfully break the adventure mod, and if it provides any particular commands, he could/should bind these in his settings.xml. That could easily be stated in a readme, and would not require mucking about with handling keys clobbering other (which can not be handled very good in any case).
You cannot expect users to be capable of hand editing even a simple configuration file.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

alterecco wrote:That could easily be stated in a readme, and would not require mucking about with handling keys clobbering other (which can not be handled very good in any case).
I agree that this might be a short-term solution, but I don't want to force users to have to map keys before they can even play a game.

I will definitely start simple: for example, add the custom key bindings before connecting them to the help system (which has its own set of complexity).
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote: You cannot expect users to be capable of hand editing even a simple configuration file.
I think users are more capable, and at least more motivated than you think. But sure, there will be some that will have problems with it, probably the same amount that will have problems because the keybinding that was "F1" in their last game is "Alt+F1" in this one, and all they did was add a mod?!? The first problem is clear and easy to diagnose and fix, the second problem much less so.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

random thought will the custom commands be able to still use the old function of the key? So we can piggy back onto the old function (and maybe even disallow it if needed)
Crying is not a proper retort!
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

After some delay, it is now on our wiki, on the page that collects tidbits we don't know what else to do with (at lest tidbits I don't know what to do with)

http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence ... rom_george