New Mod: Hard mod

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I have completed a beta version of a mod that intends to make the game harder.

Features:

Station Explosion and Ferrian Warhsip mods are included.

New weapon: Dwarg Cyndocyst Turret. It is like the Ares Lighting Turret except with Cyndocysts. The range of the Turret has been halved and may be halved again in future releases.

Fuel prices have been raised significantly. For those of you who have enjoyed destroying fuel stations previously, they have now been fixed.

Volcanic asteroids will not give nearly as much ore.

Ranx stations now wield akans.

Ares shipyards wield more archcannons.

Ares Turrets now have HeavyTharsis instead of LightTharsis. They also have a second arch cannon.

Adventurer Outfitters, Taikon Ventures, and Teratons are no longer so generous.

The IM90 is much more expensive.

Most field crystals are Military Equipment (I believe that means that Corporate Trading Posts may not order them. Modbium and Diamond field Crystals are an exception.

Ion field crystals are now much more valuable for hospital CSCs, but you may get them at either one.

Flight deck CSC's are now much less likely to assign you a Phobos Dreadnought.

Longzhu Spheres are ten times more expensive.

QAC's are worth much less. They are now worth ten times the amount a Longzhu (with price adjustment) is worth.

Some prominent weapons dealers are invincible, including Rasiermesser Factories, Teratons, Ringers, Thor's, Bushido Merchants, Adventurer Outfitters, and Tailkon Ventures. BM stations are also invincible

Xenophobes have more varied encounters and appear earlier (possibly in Erandi).

Sung Slave camps appear earlier (and thus Sung encounters). They may appear as early as pre-Rigel (but not Erandi).

Luminous Assemblers now create Luminous Warriors.

The CSC Antarctica is much more powerful (ammoless omni Nemesis launcher, ammoless omni Medusa launcher, Ares launcher with limited micronukes). Unfortunately, it refuses to use any secondary weapons until the player is quite close (<60ls is safe) :x These modifications make saving the Antarctica very easy, but still doesn't make killing it more than a cakewalk (if it wasn't for the wandering Ares, you could probably destroy it with ceramic armor, no shield and an omni-particle).

Ships:

Phobos Dreadnought is now something to fear since it wields four Ares Arch Cannons in addition to its regular loadout. It also may be faster and more or less maneuverable.

The Sung Core Slaver is an Earth Slaver with a (virtual, ammoless) QAC instead of nando bolt cannons. The Core Slaver's QAC has a 20 degree fire arc. It is also more heavily armored, faster and more maneuverable than the Earth Slaver. It is a pseudo-interceptor in that it is faster and more maneuverable than the player, but has less than adequate thrust. This means that it will feign losing the player before closing in.

The current Ranx Dreadnought has been demoted to a Cruiser. A new Ranx Dreadnought has several Akan 30s (omni) as well as the Cruiser's equipment.

The Dwarg Commander is similar to a Dwarg Master, wielding a Cyndocyst Turret instead of a Cyndocist cannon. It also has more Xiaphon Cannons mounted on its hull. Furthermore, is fast and maneuverable and is an interceptor.

The Luminous Warrior is a late game ship armed with an IM90, a Plasma Cannon (Omni), and is armored by a layers of octo-carbide, hexa-carbide, and luminous armature. It is an interceptor.

The Ares Tsunami Interceptor is a faster and more maneuverable version of the Chasm with *five* Ares Arch Cannons.

The Corporate Cruiser has an infinite supply of Gotha-10's, never leaves a wreak, and fills your ship with missiles at a much higher rate of fire.

Some of these ships may have lowered or zero wreakchance. These ships and all other changes are intend to make certain positions unassailable when they are first met and to make living in the universe of Transcendence more dangerous and exciting.

The code is messy, but it compiles.

And here's the link:

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=89

DO post bugs, balance issues, and what you think of the mod.

The only other major change I hope to add for the future is making the CSC Antarctica more of a challenge. I will likely respond to feedback and requests, though.

I will not personally merge the fleets mod with this mod.
Last edited by F50 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:04 am, edited 24 times in total.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

sounds very interesting, not only the game is harder, but you also expanded some sovereigns, nice ! :)

going to try!

PS: I would like to see a version of this mod merged with the Fleets Updated Mod. That would be very hard.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Very cool! I would love to hear reactions from people who have played it. How much harder is it?
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I don't know, hence the beta (in playtesting stage). I haven't bothered to play through a game with it (doing that now). The only real balancing that I have checked is the ships that have altered speed and maneuverability. It should be *a lot* harder however.

Merging with the fleets update mod wouldn't be hard. Perhaps I will do that. However, First I would merge the exploding stations mod into the hard mod, as that should make enemy stations harder. This would also have the side effect of making it harder to merge Fleets and the hard mod, but would probably be worth the effort.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

F50 wrote:The Core Slaver (not put in game) can't use its QAC because it doesn't reload using its Longzhus.
Maybe make an ammoless version for it to use?
F50 wrote:BM stations should be invincible
Completely invincible? I think there should be at least a (very) small chance of being able to get at it - though to continue with the increasing of the difficulty, an extortionate price for getting back into the BM may be in order if you do.
F50 wrote:The Sung Core Slaver will be (when it gets working) an Earth Slaver with a QAC instead of nando bolt cannons.
Shouldn't it keep the nandaos?

Anyway, awesome concept for a mod! Will test when I can.
F50 wrote:Test ship and station (Charon Pirate Cache with Tsunami-class interceptors) included.
F50 wrote:The Ares Tsunami Interceptor is
Umm... is the Tsunami-class Interceptor Charon, or Ares?
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The charon pirate cache is being used as a test station. If you un-comment it from the XML, the charon pirate cache will have (three, I think) Tsunami-class interceptors (can kill the Test-class Yacht easily if you just stand in once place for five seconds). This can be changed easily to any ship in the game (like luminous warriors or Core Slavers for instance)

Never thought of making an ammoless QAC, good idea, will do.

EDIT: Core slaver up and running (and at xelarus). Dwarg Commanders added to Dwarg Fortress. Core slaver and Fire slaver faster and more maneuverable. Core slaver also has a fire arc of 20 degrees for its ammoless virtual QAC. Fire Slaver has wreakchance of 0 now.

Next up: Ferrian Warship (just ran into those helpless little worker bees again) and Station explosion mods.

EDIT2: Ferrian Warship doesn't require any work to add. Dreadnought bug fixed.

EDIT3: Ringers, Thors, Buishido Merchant, and Adventurer Outfitters are now all invincible.

Station explosion mod is now included (took quite a bit of work).

Luminous assemblers now can create Luminous Warriors.

Everything is now up in the features section.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well done! This is a good idea. Grat mod
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Have you removed the superfreighter from the station explosion mod (v1.05) ? There is a bug with it. It explodes when exiting the system.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I have removed the superfreighter and the sung slave camp because it destroys all slave coffins when blown up and that defeats purpose of blowing it up in the first place. Both of my deaths so far in playing the hard mod have been in forgetting that I will die if I am sitting right next to the flame.

EDIT:

I have just played through the mod until I got stuck in between having missed the Point Juno mission (no lamplighter :( ), not being able to become too much more powerful without humongous amounts of cash, not being able to get enough dough, not being able to defeat Luminous Warriors (who tend to pop up and destroy me), and finally, not being able to save the Antarctica (need to get mayakev launcher next time just in case).

I may have to end up making someone very likely to sell omni-ion blasters because there is no other way I can survive late-game without lamplighter. :P
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

F50 wrote:I have removed the superfreighter and the sung slave camp because it destroys all slave coffins when blown up and that defeats purpose of blowing it up in the first place. Both of my deaths so far in playing the hard mod have been in forgetting that I will die if I am sitting right next to the flame.

EDIT:

I have just played through the mod until I got stuck in between having missed the Point Juno mission (no lamplighter :( ), not being able to become too much more powerful without humongous amounts of cash, not being able to get enough dough, not being able to defeat Luminous Warriors (who tend to pop up and destroy me), and finally, not being able to save the Antarctica (need to get mayakev launcher next time just in case).

I may have to end up making someone very likely to sell omni-ion blasters because there is no other way I can survive late-game without lamplighter. :P
Jump Drive. ;)
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The only other major change I hope to add for the future is making the CSC Antarctica more of a challenge. I will likely respond to feedback and requests, though
As of this post, a new update has been loaded on xelarus, this will likely be the last update for a while so you don't have to worry about me changing it on you.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

the hard mod is haaaaaaaard :D :D

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2258/hardmodyq9.jpg

also I think I found an exploit: because the fuel is 4 times more expensive, I started killing every fuel depot i could find (never did that before), then selling most of the fuel for tons of credits.
There is no event when destroying a fueldepot.

Also I found something interesting: a worldship was trying to destroy a black market shipy, the black market didn't shoot at all (too far?) and the worldship continued circling and shooting.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

:shock: LOL

Two sung citadels right beside each other. I was having enough trouble with one citadel! Of course, I figured out the hard way that sitting on a planet is no longer a good strategy when facing the sung. Too much sh3lds down from Core and Earth slavers to be close to one of those things. Possible with one citadel, I don't know how you will survive with two.

EDIT: I realized you have heavy Ion blaster. Not so hard after all.

Fuel depot will be immutable next time I update it. I would prefer something else, but there isn't much else I can do for corporate stations, if Fuel depots were CW, then I could get you arrested, but as it is, immutable will have to do.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I just noticed a big error in the Station explosions mod (my fault): :oops:

Code: Select all

<OnDestroy>
			(sysCreateWeaponFire &itfueldepotexplosion; gSource (objGetPos gSource ) 0 0 Nil)
				(intCorporateOnDestroy)

</OnDestroy>
should be changed to:

Code: Select all

<OnDestroy>
(block Nil
			(sysCreateWeaponFire &itfueldepotexplosion; gSource (objGetPos gSource ) 0 0 Nil)
				(intCorporateOnDestroy)
				)
			</OnDestroy>
Otherwise the intCorporateOnDestroy is not called. That's why I was destroying the Fuel Depots without seeing any Aquila Cruisers. :lol:

I'm going to update the mod in the next few hours.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Should "intCorporateOnDestroy" -> "initCorporateOnDestroy" ?

CorporateOnDestroy calls Aquilas not Corporate Cruisers?