Post about your finished mods here.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

This thread is made to keep update posts and comments about the BattleZone
separate from the original thread here.

-----------------

Version V.2 is out!

So, at last the version I have kept on promising. I worked real hard on it over the week, to get it ready for the weekend ;)

Still not all the features i promised have been implemented, but i'm very happy with the result. There will be some things that should be tweaked, but for now I will just let you all at it! Have fun.

Please notice, that this mod requires DockScreen Framework which is available on xelerus

-----------------

The BattleZone Mod is a "QuickPlay" adventure mod, that gives you instant on battle. You face increasingly stronger enemies. There is a small "home base" where you can restock/upgrade your ship.

Find the mod here
Last edited by alterecco on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

ok ok, I must say you certain have put a lot of thought and effort into this, certainly more than the occasion godling ship or odd ball guns I've been working on :) This looks like a great start! On my first run I didn't even hit any noticeable bugs, so that's a good thing, right? :lol: And it's even pretty much what I was asking for, a quickplay mode that's also good for testing, well, new stuff. :twisted:

Do you remember or know of the old-school Atari game Gauntlet? that's the next evolution I was going to suggest on this idea...
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Glad you like it. I'm not familiar with Gauntlet, but i must say that I have come to realize that with a little effort (ok, a lot) many oldschool games could be remade in Transcendence. Asteroids, pong, spaceinvaders, could all be "remade" in one form or another. That's just off the top of my head. I'll bet there are a good dozen or more that others can think of. The biggest part really lies in making Sprites and concise Rules. Tscript itself is pretty flexible, and can actually acheive more than you would think. The really limited part is gui, which (apart from Dock Screens) are practically a non starter.

Anyways - if you care to elaborate on the game mechanics, either post here, or find me on irc.

.]
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Great, I'm dating myself again. :roll:

Gauntlet was one of the 1st RPG-style action games. Over head perspective, 4 character classes, and some wicked enviroment rules. "Elf needs food bad... Elf is Starving! Elf has died."

So a single level was a large maze, complete with 'door' walls you had to find keys for, and you would take your Elf, Wizard, Archer, or Warrior thru the maze destroying spawned enemies as you go along. Each enemy type had it's own spawn point building, which was also destroy-able, so a lot of the game play wound up being your characters trying to slaughter the horde of bad guys that built up while you were trying to get thru the rest of the maze, so you could eventually get to the spawn buildings and cut off the flow of NMEs.

The functions I'd like to see ported over Gauntlet are the nme spawn points that you can destroy to cut off the flow of bad guys. It will have to be a delicate balance tho, I've seen Trancendance overload my PC's memory by leaving the 'random arena' screen running too long. We already have 'classes' in the form of the initial starting ships, and a lot of RPG elements are already covered by the game engine anyway (fuel used like food, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_(arcade_game)

Anyway, just a thought ;)
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Cygnus.X1 wrote:The functions I'd like to see ported over Gauntlet are the nme spawn points that you can destroy to cut off the flow of bad guys.
That is definately doable, and would make for fun playing.

At the moment I am ripping apart BattleZone and building it again from scratch, to accommodate some concepts id like to see myself. The main concept I'm trying to build in is "levels", meaning having different arena's (in our case systems) where the game can be quite different. This would allow for various game types to be constructed with some of the same building blocks.

At the moment i will only be building the one arena, but I can definitely see an arena revolve around the concept of destroying bases to get to next level.

More to come .]
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Awesome mod.

Totalt anarchy and mindless destruction.

I made it to lvl 10 with the NCC-1701E but had to god mod a ship to finish it. The last level was was great. I won't spoil it for others.

There was an issue with the number of wrecks left in the area. Perhaps an option at the station where you could spawn a wreck field clearer? There is an issue with the station that causes the game to crash when closing the dockscreen... haven't got much info yet beyond that, sorry.

I have played gauntlet and this definitely reminded me of it. Awesome game and I can definitely see this mod expanded. Some things that might help:
Different stations that spawn a certain number of enemies of a specific type. ie. Station 1 produces 10 lvl 1 ships, 1 every 5 secs until there are 20. As you kill them the station will continue you repopulate until you get back to 20 or you destroy the station.

subsequent systems would have higher lvl stations/enemies.

The 'key' to open the gate to the next level could then be hidden within the wrecks of the stations and refill stations could be scattered for refueling and upgrading.

Great job, this mod is a keeper!
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Glad you are enjoying it.

Great suggestions, keep them coming. They are all ending up in a TODO/REVIEW list.

The next version won't include much new in terms of gameplay, but the experience will hopefully feel more polished. There will be several stations to provide different services, wingmen, buy/sell, level services (clear wrecks/set spawn level/interval), and it will be possible to exit in and out of a game. It will also be an attempt at forming a base for building new levels with different goals.

I wonder what you saw on the last level... Haven't made it that far myself :lol:
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I may have more info on the crash issues.
When Installing/Removing device the Cancel returns to a blank DS.

Code: Select all

(setq gPrevPane "DockServices") 
probably the problem.

I won't spoil the last level. it was loads of fun.
I think I killed Arco Vaughn like 5 times too!
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Dalva
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

i'll try to make an improvement to the wall graphic, making some fancy steel wall with some rust here and there, so it will not looks like an old, retro 2d game with simple black and white wall. but maybe i need alterecco's permission to do that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
alterecco,

can i make the improvement and upload it to xelerus as a mod to your work
without uploading the XML? (so people will need your original battlezone mod
to play with my improvement)

Regards,
Dalva

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:wink: looks like a fancy company mail eh?
Stormhawk
Closed Account
Closed Account

This is definately an awesome mod! But to me it doesn't really capture the spirit of the start screen. When you build that station that controls the levels could you possibly put in a level that spawns two completely random ships to fight each other? And then the player would be in the middle, trying to kill the biggest one first. If not that's okay, it's still a very awesome mod! Can't wait to see the next version!
This is our game. And George is our hero.
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

The original Gauntlet had different spawn points for different types of monsters, like Ghost, Thug, Skeleton, etc etc.

I killed Arco Vaughn about 7 times in one spawn group, got 3 "KAK" (or whatever he sez) msgs at once :twisted:

I can confirm the dock screen crashes, especially when escaping or 'canceling'. I'm avoiding using Shop'N'Stuff anyway since my custom playerships usually don't need those services.

BTW, why did you bother spawning mule autons? They are completely worthless in pure combat... They did give me the idea of "level 0: Target Practice" :lol: like a warm-up level to make sure that new gun you just cooked up actually fires properly.

I'm keeping the BattleZone files as is, since you are doing a major overhaul to it, but with your permission I'd like to release a slimmed down version that contains just the NME spawning engines and their controls. Since I'm using it more for testing than gameplay I really don't need the Shop'N'Stuff, which seems to be the source of the majority of game crashes.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Dalva wrote:i'll try to make an improvement to the wall graphic, making some fancy steel wall with some rust here and there, so it will not looks like an old, retro 2d game with simple black and white wall.
Sounds interesting. I'd love to see what you come up with. I've put up a copy of the current Inkscape svg file i am using, here. Feel free to try alternatives, just please try and stick to the 100x100 centered barriers with right angles, or placing the barriers become a nightmare. Trust me on that one.

That said, i think the idea of having several "skins" is splendid, and if it's OK with you ( and i agree with the looks) I'd like to incorporate it into the BattleZone folder. Otherwise feel free to upload mods that can replace the current graphics. (although i for one kinda enjoy the retro look :) )

The code and graphics done by me for Transcendence are released as public domain, so don't hold your horses back.
Dalva wrote:but maybe i need alterecco's permission to do that.
You have it ;)

---------------------------------------------------------
Cygnus.X1 wrote:I can confirm the dock screen crashes, especially when escaping or 'canceling'. I'm avoiding using Shop'N'Stuff anyway since my custom playerships usually don't need those services.
Yeah, i should have put out a quick fix for that one, but I work backwards sometimes, so instead i ripped BattleZone apart, and right now none of it is working. Please, be patient. I did figure though, that people would manage eitherway ;)

Cygnus.X1 wrote:BTW, why did you bother spawning mule autons?
The ships list is generated by parsing the vanilla source, and has seen very little love from my side. In the next version it will be featured right at the top of the mod, and i will encourage people to edit that part, to add and remove ships as they see fit. A future version may even come with a DockScreen that can do that for the current session. I would be glad to take suggestions for revisions of the list that remove obvious non-combatants.
Cygnus.X1 wrote:They did give me the idea of "level 0: Target Practice" :lol: like a warm-up level to make sure that new gun you just cooked up actually fires properly.
Absolutely. I have been thinking about this myself. The way i see it, you will be spawned into a system where you are fixed in position (you can only rotate), and targets will be coming at you from different angles. Could be mule autons, or could be spinning red disks of death o.O.

Cygnus.X1 wrote:I'm keeping the BattleZone files as is, since you are doing a major overhaul to it, but with your permission I'd like to release a slimmed down version that contains just the NME spawning engines and their controls.
As stated earlier, you are completely free to make offshots of this if you want. However, I would encourage you to wait for the next version before you start. To give you a reason, here is a little overview of the game changes that will be done...

The initial level will be a "blank" system, except for the playership and some floating "targets". Each target represents the start of a level (so far i have only planned 3). Shoot the target, and you get gated to the system dedicated to that playstyle, and the action begins. The targets i have planned, are a totally simple, no barriers, no stations, no nothing, just enemies spawning. The next one is similar to the current battlezone, and the last one is the target practice level i mentioned above. So as you can see, I hope that BattleZone will be able to accommodate even the most simplistic level type.

Well... that was a longer rant. I hope i got around to all the angles. Back to the code now!

.]
Stormhawk
Closed Account
Closed Account

I fixed the dockservices bug by replacing it with "&dsFleetServices" Or whatever. It works really well.
This is our game. And George is our hero.
Dalva
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

alterecco wrote:
Dalva wrote:but maybe i need alterecco's permission to do that.
You have it ;)
thanks. now i will start working :D
Dalva
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I have finished the wall texture replacement. 8)

download it here:
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=312