Shield ideas

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
bluesaberist
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

This is a thread for a couple shield ideas that had um... "popped up" in the wrong forum.

Anyhow, what I meant for the visible shield is that you would have a tranluecent bubble around the ship, that would flicker or something when hit with weapons fire.
Something kind of like this:

Another idea I came up with, that depending on how it is aproached could be very hard or reletively simple: The ability to shield another object by extending your own shield to it. The simple method would be to have a usable object that would add a shield to the other object. That would be simple, but wouldn't have the right effect. The hard way that would look a lot cooler would be to have an energy beam between your ship and the object.
If you drop a bar of soap on the ground, is it dirty?
If a person is legally blind, and can suddenly see, is he breaking the law?
If a friend says he's going outside to get some air, what was he breathing before?
-Brad Stein
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

bluesaberist wrote:Anyhow, what I meant for the visible shield is that you would have a tranluecent bubble around the ship, that would flicker or something when hit with weapons fire.
Haven't you ever seen the greenish flashy thing whenever you got hit?
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think what he's asking for is a little more eye candy in the "shield hit effect" department here. Which I believe is do-able given the right tools to create such a more "realistic" looking effect.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I will be very happy to add some eye candy to shields, or any <Effect> ingame, as soon as George add modding of <Effects> into extensions. :D

I'm really looking for it !

Think about timed effects, semi persistent halos, smoke trails when a ship is severly damaged, electric sparks, fluctuating shields effects during cyber attacks... drool :)
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

digdug wrote:I will be very happy to add some eye candy to shields, or any <Effect> ingame, as soon as George add modding of <Effects> into extensions. :D

Think about timed effects, semi persistent halos, smoke trails when a ship is severly damaged, electric sparks, fluctuating shields effects during cyber attacks... drool :)
you might be able to use the visual effect from the domina survive power... it looks like that (press "I" then press "A" ingame to see what i mean)
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
bluesaberist
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I actualy meant a shield that you could see all the time. Like the effect in the picture, except the being hit part, and the shield's coloration would be smooth. Like wolfy's suggection of the Domina sustain power. Then when you are hit the shield would look even more like the pic, with the flares and everything.
I think that the shield effects definetly need to be more modifyable. The only thing you can do now is change the image (I am guilty as charged. My shields fade from dark purple to very dark grey. It actualy has a really cool effect.) You can't even have the shield be directional. :cry:
This is a great game, but I do seam to be tearing it apart. So to lighten this up, I wish to point out that the game has shields and armor. SW Battlefront 2 doesn't even have that for space battle!
If a friend says he's going outside to get some air, what was he breathing before?
-Brad Stein
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

digdug wrote:I will be very happy to add some eye candy to shields, or any <Effect> ingame, as soon as George add modding of <Effects> into extensions. :D

I'd sa ythat would be cool, and make more realism in the game.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sorry I don't mean to go off topic but you can't say anything is realistic on shields. You can say its consistent. You can even make new rules for it to be consistent with.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Czert
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Im with all fingers for new shield graphic effects.

Im graphic fanatic...ech I mean shields geek. Ooops, forget on it.
:lol: .
My English, may be poor, but better than yours Czechs.

Do you chalenge me ? But be nice :-)) http://czert1938.mybrute.com
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I like shields as they are now. Right now it looks like shields are a bunch of Ions that are directly *on* the armor. It is actually conceivably possible that you could hold ions to your hull and then use them to intercept incoming particles. Of course, you wouldn't be able to make an actual physical barrier in this way, but it makes more sense than say, star-trek style shields.

Of course, the monopole shield is a bit of an inconsistency then, but still.
bluesaberist
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Maybe to satisfy everbody, shields should just have an Effect modifier. All it would do would make it so that you could select effects. Then the only other thing you should need is a directional modifier to tell the game weither or not the shield would be directional. By directional I mean when it gets hit, instead of a round shield effect, it might conform to the shape of the ship, or travel around the shield, or even blast out portions of the shield, the way ejectas are now.
-Brad Stein