Living Universe Project

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

As I mentioned in the State of the Universe Thread, I am working on a demonstation of how an economy can be implemented in Transcendence. Since most of the work is just pounding out line after line of script, I figured I'd start a thread to show my progress to help maintain my interest in the project.

Here is the latest 'build' of the Mod: Here

Right now, I have alot of the code written, but I am missing the segment to send out freighters to trade with other stations. While the code is still a little buggy, after a little cleaning, it should consume a raw materials to produce finished goods. It also spawns two 'traders' attached to the station that handle buying raw materials and selling finished goods.

I haven't run into any major problems so far but here's a couple of annoyances I have come across so far:

1.) It is hard to ensure that docking events are captured for the traders. I have started a thread on this, but I think I have a work-around in the meantime.

2.) There is no easy way to check how much of an item a station has on hand. Given an item UNID, I was forced to enumerate all the items on the station to find a match.
hex
Miner
Miner

I just got a version of the mod from the link provided, it seems to be missing a
close tab (</OnObjDocked> line 122). I've started transcendence again and it seems to work, can't wait to play the mod look great :D :D :D
Hmm...
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I've found a few more bugs since then, but in the end, I am waiting on a change to the onObjDocked method by george before picking this mod back up.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Just looked through the mod. I'm really not well versed with the code enough to read it like its english but I (think I) can see what it does. Where do I go to get a basic grounding of lisp languages?

Anyway, it seems perfectly possible to code it in to all the stations. That'd open up a lot of ways to have real trading missions and such. Hope George puts something like this in Transcendence. Makes it more like a living world than just a bunch of stations which never change.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

As I said before, this is only a 'proof of concept' mod. I don't think that it integrates into the vanilla game on a conceptual level. At best, I kind of see this model either as part of a total conversion mod, or as a mod creating a branching side quest into a Trade based mini-game (i.e. you need something from one station, but to get them to build the item, you have to push supplies into the base of their supply chain, two systems away).
Kamikaze
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

What about missions to disrupt enemy supply chains? Now THAT would be fun. Basically lay siege to a very important enemy base, or possibly in a later game version, an allied base that another ally wants shut down. PO the other ally, they become an enemy, etc.

This game is fun, but it needs more depth over all IMO. I'll never stop playing it, though.
I never said I was sane.

I said I was perfectly insane.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Kamikaze wrote:What about missions to disrupt enemy supply chains? Now THAT would be fun. Basically lay siege to a very important enemy base, or possibly in a later game version, an allied base that another ally wants shut down. PO the other ally, they become an enemy, etc.

This game is fun, but it needs more depth over all IMO. I'll never stop playing it, though.
Game is still in development. A lot of depth may still be added. And the extensibility of the extensions system makes it possible for us to add whatever is not added by George. Basically, nearly any kind of addition can be made to the game. That's what kept me at the game for this long (ok 2 months is not that long but I don't see myself leaving it anytime soon) rather than the game itself.