Towing hook

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Creating Inappropriate "Signature Dialouge" since yestermorrow!

FAD wrote:Perhaps, but I did notice this in the code...

Code: Select all

<!ENTITY itbeacon						 "0xD211f221">
	  <!ENTITY itAlmightyWrench "0xD4664011">
And if you do NOT have either mod in your extensions folder, you will get an error upon loading.
Wrong, he put it in the <!-- excluder brackets --> so that you can go in and change it. I ran it and I don't have the &itbeacon mod, worked fine. I went in and removed the brackets around the Almighty Wrench so I could use it :)
Charon Fizz-Soda! It's Red! It tastes like Awesomness! AND PIRATES MADE IT! Better than Eridani Mineral Water too!
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Charon Mass of Goo wrote:Wrong, he put it in the <!-- excluder brackets --> so that you can go in and change it. I ran it and I don't have the &itbeacon mod, worked fine. I went in and removed the brackets around the Almighty Wrench so I could use it :)

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE TranscendenceExtension
[
	<!ENTITY unidExtension					"0xD2119331">
	<!ENTITY scSOPHROSYNE					"0xD2111c7d">
	<!ENTITY rsSOPHROSYNE				"0xD2110d01">
	<!ENTITY rsSOPHROSYNEShield				"0xD2110db1">
	<!ENTITY rsSOPHROSYNEbig				"0xD2110f01">
	<!ENTITY ittowhook				"0xD211dcb1">
	<!ENTITY itmass				"0xD211d571">

<!ENTITY itbeacon						 "0xD211f221">
	  <!ENTITY itAlmightyWrench "0xD4664011">

]>
<TranscendenceExtension UNID="&unidExtension;" version="0.98">
Show me the <!-- excluder brackets --> ...I see none.
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

<Devices>
			<Device deviceID="&itSolarPanelArray;"/>
			<Device deviceID="&itArmorRepairDevice;"/>
			<Device deviceID="&ittowhook;"/>
			<Device deviceID="&itClass1Deflector;"/>
		</Devices>

<Items>
			<Item count="1" item="&itEnhanceSRSROM;"/>
			<Item count="1" item="&itSystemMapROM;"/>
			<Item count="1" item="&itTargetingComputerROM;"/>
			<!-- <Item count="1d12+10" item="&itbeacon;"/> -->
			<!-- <Item count="1" item="&itAlmightyWrench;"/> -->
		</Items>
Right there.

It turns out that I don't need to remove or put excluder brackets around the <ENTITY>. It works fine for me.
Charon Fizz-Soda! It's Red! It tastes like Awesomness! AND PIRATES MADE IT! Better than Eridani Mineral Water too!
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yep, I cought that earlier today--didn't see it before. My badness.
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

FAD wrote:Yep, I cought that earlier today--didn't see it before. My badness.
Thats right. You be the "Badness" and I be the "BadASS"

:D Witty play on words there :)

Is 1337----> Charon
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Did this thing ever start working agin? as it failed for me?
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Just a little note on entities- you can have any entities you like correctly listed without using it in the code later.

So if a mod comes with extra entities that aren't used as items or whatever- it will still work.

A lot of times I create a bunch of entities before making use of them as ships, items, or star systems- sort of like preparing a list. Having the entities there and making sure they work is a nice small step before moving on to modding the actual use for the entity.

Having <!ENTITY of any kind won't crash the game whether or not it is being used unless the entry has a typo.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Periculi wrote:Just a little note on entities- you can have any entities you like correctly listed without using it in the code later.

So if a mod comes with extra entities that aren't used as items or whatever- it will still work.

A lot of times I create a bunch of entities before making use of them as ships, items, or star systems- sort of like preparing a list. Having the entities there and making sure they work is a nice small step before moving on to modding the actual use for the entity.

Having <!ENTITY of any kind won't crash the game whether or not it is being used unless the entry has a typo.
good to know. ;)
obsidean
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

This is a bit of a necro, but I can't seem to get the towhook to work no matter what I do. I target the wreck and everything as intended, but no matter how close I get, or how far it never connects. I've tried from 10 light seconds away to right on top of the object. Nothing seems to happen. I'm using the current version, any ideas on how I could get it working?

By the way, otherwise I like the ship.
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

obsidean wrote:This is a bit of a necro, but I can't seem to get the towhook to work no matter what I do.
there are a few possibilities,
the actual towing ability comes from the recurring "tow" <event> on the ship that comes with the mod, the device itself only adds weight to your ship and starts the tow event recurring, if this event ("tow") is not present on the ship it is used, nothing of value will happen. you will need to copy the <tow> event into the <events> on any ship you intend to use it on (which is why it was set notrandom), if no <events> is present add it.

it will only let you tow dead/destroyed(abandoned) objects, if it is alive it won't work(annoying when i can't tow my beacons). it's a minor failure on my end that i didn't add messages to tell what's happening, my next ship releas will fix that.