Dynamic Systems

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that "for" was a function, so had no idea to search it up on Xelerus.
Now all there is left to do is:
1. If I can't build stations, how am I going to increase a sov's presence in the system?
2. How do I 'jump' retaliation level? Do I create a list of ships that will do that or is it better to just let the retaliation level escalate?
3. where do I store the retaliation levels, I was interested in Digdug's idea where you create a virtual station, but if the code runs as an <OnDestroy> on a station, how am I going to make it work?
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

1. If I can't build stations, how am I going to increase a sov's presence in the system?
Why can't you build stations?
The other alternative is ships.
I'm not really sure how you want it to work so I can't help there.
2. How do I 'jump' retaliation level? Do I create a list of ships that will do that or is it better to just let the retaliation level escalate?
You'll probably want to add some code in <onDestroy> for the stations. If you want the retaliation level to increase when a ship also dies, you can register it to it's home station and use <onObjDestroyed> in a similar way.
3. where do I store the retaliation levels,
The retaliation level is just a piece of arbitrary data. You'll want to store it either on the playership or as typData so that it persists across stations (ie: it won't reset in every system)

Again, without more information on how you envision this working, I can't give more specfic advice.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

1.If I can't build stations, how am I going to increase a sov's presence in the system?
I wanted to build stations, but as you noted earlier, station-building is too long an enterprise for the timescale of the game (I know gameplay trumps all, but I wanted to stick to George's ideal of realism, just like when inertia really shook me the first time I played Trans.)
I'll resort to stationbuilding though if I decide to want to get an RTS feel.
Example:
I meant that if a Phobos kills an early system mining colony (I don't know how that would happen, but I'd like to teach G.O.D modders a lesson with messing around with the CW), I don't want to send Ronin/C's to kill it. Even at the hightest retaliation level, the Phobos would easily kill Manticores. ( equipping Manticores with the Lamplighter, on the other hand...) That's why I was thinking of doing a list of high level ships (or maybe use objGetLevel) that will increase the Retaliation level automatically.
Or a more realistic situation is a Worldship killing a Star Carrier with retaliation set at 0. I don't think Centurions+ omni TeV9's will cut it.
Sorry about the ambiguity of the post.
3. where do I store the retaliation levels,
The retaliation level is just a piece of arbitrary data. You'll want to store it either on the playership or as typData so that it persists across stations (ie: it won't reset in every system)
I like TypData best (you are referring to typGetGlobalData, typGetStaticData, typIncGlobalData, and typSetGlobalData, right?) because to put Retaliation level in the playership would mean having to mod all the playerships.
I'm a bit iffy on deciding whether or not to reset the retaliation data for every system though (I don't want a CSC sent at the slightest movement, yet at the same time I want to do a tactical, over-systems AI, like Wolfy. Maybe I could normally increase Retaliation level according to systemlevel [since systemlevels of 7+up require more than just a gunship squad, and then let the deescalate timer take care of cooling things down]).
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ah ok. I think I see what you mean now.

Digdug's suggestion for using background stations would be best in this case. This will also simplify your task by keeping all your events in one place and not having to overwrite EVERY station. It also provides a localized place to hold all your data.

I see now what you meant by retaliation level, you want the response to be equivalent strength to the destroyer(s).
You can try using objGetCombatPower with some additional script to ensure you're sending ships that can actually damage the target.

I wrote a very basic draft and PM'ed it to you as it's kind of big for here.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Xelerus doesn't say how ObjGetCombatPower is calculated; is it based on reactor power (I remember reading a thread about that)?
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think it has something to do with a ship's weapon, shield, armor, and maybe speed. I have no Idea what information it uses or how, only that something with a bigger combat power is generally more dangerous.
ImageImage
Thanks to digdug for the banners.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

no examples are in the xml?
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I only found ObjGetCombatPower in the Xen. Arc and the Teraton mugging mechanic (that happened to me 4 times in a row... I torched the nest each time and never found what they took from me).
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If CombatPower is linked to score, then Combatpower is somewhat arbitrary (I don't know how score is calculated). I'm going to see if I can create a custom function that calcuates power by adding the level of all the devices on the ship (or maybe the DPS of the ship?).
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I really do seem to recall this coming up before, even to the point of george pasting his function that calculates the result. But, I can not find it :/ I will keep looking a bit more.

Edit: Found this http://neurohack.com/transcendence/foru ... 218#p17218
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Alterecco, you linked to the same post twice. Maybe we could make a separate thread asking George to tell us how it's calculated? I like the idea of ObjGetDestiny-- I could use it to determine the actions of AI ships (like if destiny is less than 100, flank on both sides of the Target. If destiny is greater, ambush the ship and lead it to the home base [in the nebula!] to get pummeled.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Doh... i didn't realize o.O

And yes, using objGetDestiny is a viable way to create varying behaviour.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I just realized that if I let sovereigns create new stations, the whole system might be dotted with abandoned stations (and consequently, more places to hide).
Is there some way to make the abandoned station destroyable?
Or to have sovereigns have more presence- maybe mobile ship-stations that add background fluff and when destroyed, provokes the appropriate sov.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

To make the object disappear, you could try <OnDestroy> (objDestroy gSource) </OnDestroy> I'm not sure if that only destroys it (leaving a wreck) or just getting rid of it.

For the mobile stations, it could work. Shipwrecks are mobile, but stationwrecks are not. If the stations were ShipClasses, then they would leave mobile wrecks, so maybe.

As for the provoking, <OnDestroy> is a powerful friend. You can script a lot inside it.
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?