EMP/Device Damage

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I just had the annoying experience of realizing that EMP protection and device damage protection are NOT the same thing, which somehow just really irks me because I went and EMP-immunized all my armor in order to protect myself from the Ventari only to realize that the ion disruptors don't do EMP damage, they do device damage, even though it seems reasonably the EMP would do device damage since an EMP blast generally fries electronics.

I'm just very annoyed because I lost my x-ray laser and laser collimator to the Ventari all at the same time that the flipping retarded black market shipyard decided to attack me all due to a misconception that EMP-immune armor would block device damage!

Okay, and now that I'm reading the XML files and item descriptions, if an ion disruptor has an "ion stream" that can "penetrate a ship's hull and damage the delicate mechanisms", why exactly don't all the other ion weapons do this?
Last Cause Of Death: Destroyed by Karl Svalbard's last Lucifer missile, right after I blew him up. And the crowd cheers.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Frankly, I'm glad that not all Ion weapons have an EMP effect or do device damage. Perhaps the disruptor uses a specific EM wavelength to achieve this.

I have a feeling that armor with these immunities will be the most sought after in RC3 with the shield nerfs. Who wants to risk their brand new FFH after saving up for 5 systems just to have it turned into a tinker toy?
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I think device damage needs to get nerfed a LOT. Either any installed device will need to be made repairable at stations or something else equally drastic.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Atarlost wrote:I think device damage needs to get nerfed a LOT. Either any installed device will need to be made repairable at stations or something else equally drastic.
I second that.

Device damage with little to no way of protecting against it (apart from not letting anything take down your shields) and no real way of repairing it just sucks.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yeah, device damage for me equals "Screw this. I'll self-destruct and resurrect, forget the score hit." It's just not fun.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

device damage would be more "fair" if we had more possibilities to repair our devices

What about ringers shipyards with repair ability ?
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Way too late. It has to be on something that appears before Ventari. I'd say drydocks, militia stations, and CSCs.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

I'll just say I agree they need to be nerfed.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This is the downside of weakening shields and boosting armor. EMP and device damage become crazily overpowered, as if barbaries and dwarg masters and ventari weren't already the most feared opponents of their levels.
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Incidentally my last insured-death was the result of an encounter with a dwarg base where I was promptly EMPed over and over, sitting there spinning in a circle while little dwargies blasted me to pieces. Nothing I could do about it.

Disabling weapons, disabling shields - things i can live with. Disabling entire ship, preventing you from escaping while you're repeatedly disabled with the same weapons - not fun.

As for device damage, personally I think any dealer should be able to repair it. Its like most shops that sell computers can also repair computers, or most dealers who sell cars can also repair cars. Most weapons deals should be able to repair weapons, and Bushido should repair Bushido, and the other two unpronounceable companies should repair their stuff as well. When devices are damaged, you're stuck working without that device until you find a proper station to repair it for you.

Alternatively, device damage could not disable the device, but weaken it instead. Now the laser does less damage, or the missile launcher fires more slowly, the shield generators only generate 80%... Or maybe things just periodically misfire or don't fire at all. Consecutive damage results in further reductions until the player is inclined to discard their own equipment for something less beat up and uncooperative.

Personally having a weapon that refuses to fire half the time, or occasionally doesn't fire quite straight, or a shield generator that periodically stops recharging, or takes abnormally long to get started again, or just turns off when disabled, or equipment than randomly turns off in general - things like this would be more fun to work with, albeit highly annoying, which gives you a good incentive to trade it in or get it fixed.
Last Cause Of Death: Destroyed by Karl Svalbard's last Lucifer missile, right after I blew him up. And the crowd cheers.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

so, CSC with repairing dock ?
It sounds like a good idea, and it's also storywise acceptable because CSC are autonomous base-ships, I suppose they repair their own centurions. :roll:
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

digdug wrote:device damage would be more "fair" if we had more possibilities to repair our devices

What about ringers shipyards with repair ability ?
Almighty Wrench. It's on Xelerus. It's awesome.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

weapons can still be used if damaged, provided you re-enable them. they will misfire sometimes.

the same goes for shields(randomly lose charge), and jumpdrives seem to operate normally.

I don't know about the patch spiders, drives, and solar panels.

there's also the repair droids, but I assume this thread is about the vanilla Transcendence universe.
Last edited by Bobby on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

And both repair droids and the wrench schilcote suggests are mods. The balance problem is in unmodified transcendence and it needs to be fixed there.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Perhaps EMP should be like radiation and simply become an inherent immunity in higher level armor.

The only other solution would be to have a device or an overlay that can protect against it.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!