Expanding the Salvagers

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

As a general idea in hopes of expanding upon it... What about adding a new Salvager ship that's dockable, bigger than the Nomad ship that retrieves and rebuilds wrecked ships?
You dock with the huge 'Nomas', a nomad approaches and welcomes you aboard. After the greetings he/she tells you that they are in need of some components and are willing to trade or buy them from you. Or perhaps send you on a mission to acquire something needed to finish a ship in their bay--naturally the mission would come with risks. Once the ship is finished, it launches from the Nomas and either roams around "scouting for other wrecks" or gates out. Would be kewl to see a friendly "green" Corsair roaming about.

I think the idea would serve a few good purposes; A means to clear wrecks in the system, another way to earn a little cash or gain an item, creating a new type of mission and... adding a little more depth behind the nomads in general. After all, what do they do with all that loot?
Icabod458
Miner
Miner

I like the idea of a dockable salvager. Perhaps one or more of the missions could be to find certain wrecks. "We need a section of titanium armor from a corsair. Go find and you will be rewarded." You might have such in your hold but until you find a corsair and dock with it, they do not recognize the section in your hold.

This might also be a way to acquire wingmen. It might get expensive for this but it might be a great help also.

My only real question is where this dockable salvager "ship" would be located. Beyond St. Katherine's might be more beneficial than before but there are advantages to encounters before there also.

Would this be a modable ship/station? It could be a version of the Ares shipyard but with the features you mentioned.
Lord Trogg
Miner
Miner

There is a salvager mod that allows you to dock to them and they will sell you what they've picked up, buy damaged items or repair your armour. I use it all the time. You can find it on xelerus.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Icabod458 wrote: My only real question is where this dockable salvager "ship" would be located. Beyond St. Katherine's might be more beneficial than before but there are advantages to encounters before there also.

I've seen Salvagers as far as Sanctuary system-not sure if that's still the case in the newer versions though. But if so, the 'Nomas' ship (which means Nomad in Greek) could use the same levelFrequency tag as the Salvagers, maybe even a little beyond that. My thinking here is that if both salvager ships are in the same system, the looter could dock with the larger Nomad and dump its loot...if that's possible, code-wise.
Would this be a modable ship/station? It could be a version of the Ares shipyard but with the features you mentioned.
Salvagers are nomadic by nature, always moving and roaming about so it should be a ship instead of a station I think. It should be moddable, like most everything else in the game. It would be something similar to the Ares shipyard, except it shouldn't produce random ships via timer code but rather, by player intervention with mission(s).
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

A whole rank system could be introduced with the Salvagers. If you destroy one of their ships, they will refuse contact with you and attack on contact. As you help them, they will begin to like you more and will, at the highest point, provide you with wingmen (from the Nomas ship) upon request (with time restrictions so you couldn't get a free fleet). I'm also seeing this as an opportunity to buy yourself a new ship, if switching ships in game ever becomes possible.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You might have such in your hold but until you find a corsair and dock with it, they do not recognize the section in your hold
I wouldn't mind a fetch this item mission, but this doesn't make any sense.
How do they know where it came from? Why do they care? I say if you already have the item or want to buy it from a store then you can.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Salvagers are basically neutral in that they'll normally go about their business even if a battle between greens and reds are in their vicinity. They'll only shoot back if shot, friendly or not.
However, I have noticed that the Salvagers will shoot first at any Freeworld Anarchists within their firing range. Obviously there's some sort of conflict between them.
That said, could very well open up that idea by Icabod458 with a mission to crack open an Anarchist Gathering and loot it, possibly retrieving the component they need. Could also be interesting to find no component at all, which would then have the Salvagers send you elsewhere-perhaps buy it at a store or do a little hunt-n-seek.

I think it would be best that they wanted something that the player did not have in their hold, in order to run the mission. Wouldn't that be more fun?
Icabod458
Miner
Miner

@OddBob
I know it doesn't make much sense if you already have the item but my thinking was this: the Salvagers know you have the item when you dock with them but want you to go find the item. It all goes back to something I suggested a long while back: the ship's log. When you dock, they check your log. If you have docked with a certain ship within this system and looted the wanted item, theyll forego the mission and accept the item. But if you have the item and haven't looted it within the system, you have to go find it. Of course, once you have the item, they'll gladly purchase all of the said item you have.
The log would have what ships you have destroyed and in what system, what wrecks you have looted and in what system, what you have in your hold, what your weapons load out is and how it has changed, miltary ID, BM ID, when I refueled and where, etc. But I also know what kind of programming headache this would be so I never truly pushed the idea. When I first began playing this game (ver 96a), I used to write this kind of stuff down. Why, I can't really say, but I did. But as I played more, I quit writing it down but sort of kept track in my head.
If this was something in reality, how would the station know you have a military ID unless you present your papers? Or that you have twenty-seven pirate kills, or that the titanium segments came from those kills?
You are correct in one thing: why should the Salvagers care where the item came from? They shouldn't and probably don't. But if it is a mission item, then the item should come from whatever ship the mission states, regardless of your holds contents.