Banks and badies

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Chase
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

What if we add a commonwealth bank into the mix(corporate of course) to help save up on cash in the early-mid game.

The bank can do what banks do i.e loans, interest, deposits, etc. And to have pirate 'hackers' to make life that little bit harder.)

oh, and so i dont have to post another topic. What if we also add a 'timer' on the insurance policies. That is 10,000 credits= 4 hours real time etc. Until you have to either update or upgrade.
Faaz los frul, moro los mafaeraak. Chicks osgor skein. c:
Chase
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Sorry about the double topic. Comp. Is acting up again.
Please remove this topic administrators.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Yep, I got it.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

That's a pretty good idea: we could also mess around and put in a stock market as well (which stocks for ores drop if you kill a ferian colony :twisted: )
I'd like to see this expanded to an actual economy in Trans.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Most of this stuff is not for the player. The player has nothing suitable for collateral for a loan that he wouldn't be better off just selling. No rational banker would loan money to someone who might possibly be a pilgrim. No merchant would accept a check from a potential pilgrim because there's no penalty for a pilgrim writing bad checks. A rational pilgrim would empty any non-joint accounts before beginning his or her pilgrimage.

As many services as a bank wouldn't provide to people who might be pilgrims or pirates a bank would serve at least as little purpose as insurance stations, and would just dilute useful shops.
Literally is the new Figuratively
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Who said we had to start off as a Pilgrim?
oh, and Atarlost, many people aren't rational :D
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

RPC wrote:Who said we had to start off as a Pilgrim?
oh, and Atarlost, many people aren't rational :D
Who said you had to start off as a pilgrim? Domina or George depending on whether you want an in or out of universe answer. You play D&O you're a pilgrim whether you like it or not just like if you play Super Mario Brothers you're a plumber whether you like it or not.

And bankers aren't just people. They're bankers. The bottom line is king and unless it's influenced by the threat of lawsuits under something like the CRA they're not going to lend money without collateral to people they know won't repay the loan.

And pilgrims don't vote except in those precincts where voter registration drives are conducted in cemeteries so they don't have the sort of political pull it takes to get anti-discrimination laws enacted.
Chase
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Hmmm... What if this were to become a mod? It could work with the ship changing mod. That being, more ships you own, more collaterol you have.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Or it could work just like Grand Theft Auto does it. You have a limited time to go pay, and if you don't, they send an enforcer to make you go pay. If that fails, a stronger enforcer. If that fails, an even stronger enforcer. make it appear anywhere except Elysium, and the banker/loan station is only available in Starton with another branch in St. K's, and can be an old friend who owes you one, or something. Considering the game places you in Starton for living in one of the resi stations before you started your pilgrimage, it's feasible.

better would be a loan shark through the black market, though, IMO.
Resident-Pyromaniac
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I personally think a bank would be Genius.
If Transcendence was made in 3D, I would die of Happiness.

If you are reading this, then I have planted a deadly virus into your CPU. (not really, but you can never be too careful.)
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Amariithynar wrote:Or it could work just like Grand Theft Auto does it. You have a limited time to go pay, and if you don't, they send an enforcer to make you go pay. If that fails, a stronger enforcer. If that fails, an even stronger enforcer. make it appear anywhere except Elysium, and the banker/loan station is only available in Starton with another branch in St. K's, and can be an old friend who owes you one, or something. Considering the game places you in Starton for living in one of the resi stations before you started your pilgrimage, it's feasible.

better would be a loan shark through the black market, though, IMO.
There are still balance problems. Enforcers that aren't unrealistically powerful are irrelevant at best, free loot at worst. As a game designer one must recognize that the player is taking down neohuman capital ships. If the BM enforcers can threaten him why isn't Lord Mikho the emperor of man? Better to not lend money to pilgrims. Collecting from a guy with Domina powers is just not economical so neither is lending money to him. Criminals dumb enough to lend to a pilgrim don't get rich enough to do so anyways.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Givens:
1. This is going to be a mod.
2. Atarlost does not play mods.
If this is going to be a mod, why does Atarlost care?

A Pilgrim is:
1. A Person going to the core.
Givens:
2. Domina calls you to the core.
3. You can ignore that call by not escaping the QZ.
4. George says that no game with any of the playerships is canon.
5. You can mod your own playership.
Therefore, in the D&O universe, you do not have to play a Pilgrim because you can ignore the call of Domina and not go to the Core. Similarly, George does not make you go to the Core. He instead uses the gameplay to make us go to the Core. We can choose not to be a Pilgrim, but since that forces players to stop playing the game, that is not a really viable option at this time.

And bankers aren't just people. They're bankers.
What kind of logic is this?!
Please use real logic, Atarlost.
And pilgrims don't vote except in those precincts where voter registration drives are conducted in cemeteries so they don't have the sort of political pull it takes to get anti-discrimination laws enacted.
Are you a Pilgrim? I didn't know you could vote in Transcendence. (If I could, I'd like the CW to enlist the Huari to kill the Sung :twisted: )

Mod related: I do like the idea of enforcers, and we could always make the enforcer stronger than the player by equipping them with items that are 5 levels higher than the player.
Curudan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Your logic does not completely mesh. When someone is called by Domina they must journey to the core. They are under a "magic" compulsion; a form of mind control. They can go about it as quickly or as slowly as they wish, but they ultimately have no free will in this matter.

If you want an illustration of this, try docking at a specific commonwealth residential station orbiting around Starton Eridani; try doing this with both genders.

To everyone who isn't under compulsion, the actions of pilgrims are completely illogical, even utterly uncharacteristic. Pilgrims may travel slowly, or quickly, they may rush to the core, or they may perform odd jobs or trade on their way. But ultimately, they will take the journey to the core, and they will die.

The last part is, up till now, an unaltered rule. The player is the first pilgrim to survive. Perhaps pilgrims will make it through after you break the quarantine, or perhaps Domina stops the mind control. But pilgrims have likely been taking these journeys for some time, and most of human space would understand and recognize pilgrimages as a lengthy sort of suicide.

No banker or banking institution that made a practice of loaning money to pilgrims would make any money off from the practice, and they certainly will no longer loan money to pilgrims, if they did in the first place.

Of course, these rules might not apply if they don't know that you're a pilgrim.

And RPC, I don't think Atarlost is arguing against this existing as a mod. This is in the "Ideas and Suggestions" forum, and this is the first time anyone has used the word "mod". Until now, I honestly believed that you were arguing for this to be in the vanilla game, and I doubt anyone has any quarrel with people modding their game to suit their wishes.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

...What about rights to salvage? If you don't pay it, and the time comes up, the next time you dock, there happens to be a man standing there, asking you to accompany him, flanked by some bruisers. He takes you aside, and either you give him the money, or he takes your ship. Sorta like how if you become a pirate, they take your ship at a commonwealth station.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Chase wrote:Hmmm... What if this were to become a mod? It could work with the ship changing mod. That being, more ships you own, more collaterol you have.
Curudan: I'm not the first one who said mod. If you want me to make a separate thread, I'll gladly do so.
Curudan wrote:When someone is called by Domina they must journey to the core.
You don't have to. People have a choice on whether or not to journey to the Core. It's just that if you decide not to, you'd have to stop playing because the topology is linear.
If we're going to argue about this, let's make a separate thread. Also, I'm thinking mod because George is obviously working on Part II and I don't want to intrude upon Part II work.

As for banks: here is how I'm envisioning it:
Doable:
1. "accounts". You could have an account with interest. You deposit some money and then it accumulates over time.
2. "loans". The player could decide to put up stuff in their cargo hold as collateral and leave then in the station for a loan to the max of 120% (this is an arbitrary number by the way) and CANNOT exceed the value of the playership (also used as collateral). The bank could enforce this by sending enforcers with virtual equipment (so the player can't steal it) and the equipment on the enforcer is three to five levels higher.
Iffy:
I'm a bit iffy about the salvage part because I primarily don't want to lose my ship to them (especially if I can't pay!). Although I like the dockscreen part. That could be another method the Corporate enforces their loan :twisted:
Probably not Doable:
4. Stock Market. We'll need an economist to consult to do this, after making some random guesses on how the Transcendence economy works :D