Why Don't Stations Change Inventory?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

You'd think with all these traders flying around and people buying and selling to earn a living, that the inventories of stations would alter gradually. But it doesn't. Every station always has the same inventory that it was created with, aside from a few stations like manufacturing plants which seem to generate more of their usual inventory on a regular basis.

I think it would enhance the fun of buying and selling if stations would routinely change their stock, so you can revisit stations that you've already bought and sold dry and see if they've got anything new to work with.

There's also the issue that, if you haven't found the item you're looking for in any of the stations prior, there's never any reason to revisit those stations because you know, if they didn't have it then, they won't have it now.
Last Cause Of Death: Destroyed by Karl Svalbard's last Lucifer missile, right after I blew him up. And the crowd cheers.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

There has been a few attempts at this and the question seems to pop up every now and again so I'll just drop some of the pros and cons:

Pros
-----
- More interesting trading
- Lots more credits
- Increased item availability
- more realistic simulated economy

Cons
------
- Lots of timers, and resource usage
- very unbalancing and possibly exlpoitable
- alot of work to overwrite Every station

While this would be very beneficial and desireable in a persistant game, the nature of Transcendence almost tries to push you forward to the core and discourages alot of backtracking.
I wouldn't mind seeing this attempted in the corporate trading post or a few stations in St. Katherines to simulate a bustling hub of civilization.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Prophet wrote: While this would be very beneficial and desirable in a persistent game, the nature of Transcendence almost tries to push you forward to the core and discourages alot of backtracking.
I suppose it wouldn't matter so much if I didn't prefer to stick around St. Katherine's trying to eek every inch of prosperity out of it before being condemned to the depths of the other half of the game where the only things there are to do are military missions and base camping...
Last Cause Of Death: Destroyed by Karl Svalbard's last Lucifer missile, right after I blew him up. And the crowd cheers.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If trade stations replenished inventory there would be infinite money available. This is bad, worse than increased mining profits. This would completely wipe out any economic balance to the game, remove the pressure to advance, and allow everyone to get a near optimal kit at the first adventurer's outfitters or Thor's.
Aeonic
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Some people actually like playing that way. If they like it, why stop them? If they want the game to be challenging, they can press forward as quickly as possible. If they want to sit back and enjoy trading and working to earn huge sums of money, why stop them? Its not like it destroys the game - a few systems down the road and you've converted to a different money system anyway.

You seem to be very bent on the idea that "this is the way the game should be played and that's it!" No one is forced to earn money at what later will turn out to be a horrifically slow pace unless they want to.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Aeonic wrote:Some people actually like playing that way. If they like it, why stop them? If they want the game to be challenging, they can press forward as quickly as possible. If they want to sit back and enjoy trading and working to earn huge sums of money, why stop them? Its not like it destroys the game - a few systems down the road and you've converted to a different money system anyway.

You seem to be very bent on the idea that "this is the way the game should be played and that's it!" No one is forced to earn money at what later will turn out to be a horrifically slow pace unless they want to.
that is very naive view of video game players in my experience. In general they will do everything they can to make a game easier and then complain that the game is to easy. There are exceptions to this but they play with self imposed restrictions they have to get over wildly varying difficulty (as in unbalanced games) to extreme difficulty (for games where it is assumed everyone will do everything)
Crying is not a proper retort!
Sponge
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

While I agree completely with Betel on the difficulty thing, I feel that asserting that this system couldn't be created in a balanced manner is unfair. Restock doesn't necessarily mean "every five minutes the stock changes completely." On the contrary, I remember a concept (planned mod?) where the economy would be run by freighters. They would drop off and pick up items from stations, altering the store's credit supply appropriately. I think something like this would greatly expand the overall feel of the Transc universe.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

item movement is fine as long as no new items are generated. I would even be support (I would even like it) if some miners took some ore to a station and that turned into something else and some other ships would take that and "sell" it at a different station. (non player indirect trading)
Crying is not a proper retort!