Bug: Morningstar Cannon vs Arena Walls

These are old bug reports that have been closed.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Not really much of an issue, but if I face the arena wall and shoot my morningstar cannon (with kinetic accelerator, if thats relevant), about half of my shots penetrate exit the arena, the other half are effectively stopped.

Why am I shooting at the arena wall?

Yeah, don't have a good answer for that :oops:
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Because you have lousy aim? :lol:

I've also noted this bug. I think you also get it with the plasma torch.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
Lord Trogg
Miner
Miner

I think that this is intentional, if you get a weapon that does damage with a max ammount and each shot spreads out as it gets furthur away you can sort of shoot through wrecks, planets etc. If you fire one of those plasma mining weapons, ion9 cannon or morningstar at a small wreck then some of the shot gets through. The only exploit I can find with this is being able to shoot at enemies while hiding on a planet so that they can't hit you but some of your shot gets through.
FAD
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

If I'm correct, the only weapon capable of shooting through an object is the Katana star cannon, which uses the tag; passthrough= "50". So this is more than likely a bug.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Time in Transcendence is quantized. Bullet-time doubly so. Remember that the universe updates every 1/30th of a second (real-time) which means that time cannot be subdivided below that quantum.

Since motion is just (velocity X time), motion in Transcendence is also quantized--that is, objects will appear to "jump" from one point in space to another.

Bullets in Transcendence obey these quantum laws. Sometimes, bullets appear to "jump" across a solid barrier. This is not an illusion, but rather a property of the quantum laws of Transcendence.

Ships never seem to pass through walls because they are large and (relatively) slow macroscopic objects; but bullets are small and fast and subject to these quantum effects.

Why don't I just fix this (quantum) bug?

Yeah, I don't have a good answer for that :)
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Fossaman wrote:Because you have lousy aim? :lol:
I aimed at the wall, my aim was true.

Moo hoo ha ha!
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

So would I be correct in thinking we've only observed this quantum phenomena with particulate weapons because they're so tiny? :P
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
darksider
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Who told you that the arena wall doesn't have holes? :)
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:45 am
Bullets in Transcendence obey these quantum laws. Sometimes, bullets appear to "jump" across a solid barrier. This is not an illusion, but rather a property of the quantum laws of Transcendence.
wow, quantum tunneling ! :shock:
that's very realistic ! don't fix it. :wink: