Transcendence as a Rogue-like

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Clear Air Turbulence
Closed Account
Closed Account

I was trying to think of analogies for the different ship types to explain to a fan of more traditional Rogue-likes what Transcendence is like. I came up with some interesting analogies to fantasy game classes but it's not perfect, and it also got me thinking about other aspects of the game and their fantasy equivalents.

The Sapphire Yacht is easy to figure out. It's you're typical mage - the weakest of armors, but a strong capability to deal damage or to be versatile in other ways. It's allowed the least amount of armor, but it's capable of a large number of damage types and the ability to wear many "buffs" at the same time.

The Wolfen is not as easy to categorize. It can wear more armor than a mage, but most fighter classes have no armor restrictions. It can do even more kinds of damage than the Mage class, but is very limited in ways it can enhance itself defensively or in other ways. Perhaps an Assassin or Barbarian class?

The Freighter is a good match for the typical Paladin class. It's got the strongest armor, it can do good damage compared to other classes early in the game but later it's damage output will be limited compared to some other classes (although easily enhanced with it's other powers). It can carry the most inventory but can't increase this ability.

Other items have clear parallels. Fuel is food, though I've never played another game where it is tiered so that some fuels are inedible at low levels and low level fuels are useless at higher levels like in Transcendence. It would actually be an interesting concept to play with in Rogue-like design as a way of preventing loitering in low levels. Bioroms are scrolls, barrels are potions. You can go a lot further, but my time is limited.
Darth Saber
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I believe that the Wolfen Gunship might be classified as a rogue, or thief. In many of the RPG which I have played (particularly the Quest series of the 1990's) the rogue / thief / was known to use many of the weapons and armors of the knight, but still retain more of their independence. Rogues were known for their dexterity; for being able to use limited magic; and for their associating with the lesser class of lifeforms.

Now let us review the Wolfen. The Wolfen can use many of the same weapons and armor as as the other ships in the game. The Wolfen is dexterous, its maneuverability and speed make it ideal for the kind of hit and run missions which typify a rogue rather than a knight errant, which favors campaigning and quests. The Wolfen, like the other players, can join the Sindikat, and do business with the Black Market; this would definitely be more like a rogue than like the other classes.

Like a rogue, the Wolfen has the ability to use limited magic (unless you use a god mod to donate 1000 slaves to Domina, then "contemplate" (i.e. hold down on the "c" key); this will grant you the "full" use of Domina's power).

Finally, a barbarian would use brute force, like Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Conan series, whereas an assassin would use stealth; hit an run tactics; and would only carry the very valuable loot if any, favoring minimal risk with maximum benefits.

This is why in my opinion, the Wolfen Gunship is more likely to be compared to a rogue than any other class.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You are correct and there are some very clear parallels but I feel George has diverged from the norm in all the right places.

While the 3 starting ships do share some similarities with the traditional character classes, the fact that you are not locked in to a single upgrade path is much better. A wolfen, properly equipped, can go toe to toe with any enemy ship however a traditional rogue would not want to fight a dozen enemies in the middle of an open field.

While low level food or healing potions may not be unedible or unuseable at higher levels they due tend to become worthless as a potion that heals 25 hp when you have over 1000 hp max would require you to hire your own apothecary and staff to decant enough potions to keep you healthy.

I considered creating a class system that would award experience and new abilities but decided that it would move the game in the wrong direction. The open ended possibilities are a great strength of this game and locking players into a traditional class would take some of that away.
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I always thought that the sapphire is the way-in-the-middle, the jack-of-all-trades, the class with no strengths but with the ability to use a little bit of everything.
And that class in traditional roguelike (D&D) is the Bard. (the bard is not a full featured rogue, not a fighter and not a wizard, but can use a little bit of every of these classes)
:roll: :D
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You really can't compare a 2d space shooter to traditional D&D classes.

You're better off doing Transcendence as Shadowrun I suspect.
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think Transcendence is a lot like Diablo in many ways. Three classes to choose from at the start, finding loot, equipping items, item upgrades, random traps, quests, deeper and increasingly difficult areas, etc.