Non-millitary Items for civie challenge

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I have found an X-ray laser, and I have an S500, Shuriken, PK25, and carbide carapace installed. Obviously, my weak point is shields. I need something that takes crystals or resists ion before I am destroyed by the anticipated Dwarg Masters. Also non-millitary alien shields would help for later game too. Any ideas. I had to use my first and so far only order for a targeting ROM. At the moment I am milking ferrians for cash since I have very little in other means for making cash (exploring systems is risky without decent shields or great weapons).

Mid-game weapons may also be a challenge. But after the X-Ray I don't think I'll have too many problems until the Ares show up.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think you're pretty much stuck as far as shields go. You might consider trying A superconducting shield generator; a Huari fortress or two would get you all the coils you need. I think your only other option would be worldship plate and some patch spiders, probably.

All of the high level shields except the iocrym cocoon (of which only one appears, ON the iocrym...) and Trenton Shield Generator, which is...leaky. You might give it a try, but I wouldn't put much faith in it.

Consider finding an Akan for weaponry; slap a few hexagene boosters on it and it's great. If you can spare the device slot for a collimator, the X-ray will last you well into Ares space with an Akan on the side.

As to the Dwarg...run away. Find a planet and hide behind it until they come within range, then charge in for a kill. I usually don't have anything better than an S500 when I start running into Dwarg, and this tactic does work. You just have to be fast on the I and A keys every now and then. When you're blowing dwarg stations, get in among them. That way you can take them out without being attacked.

To be honest, there's no way you're going to make it past the iocrym without military shields and weapons. But seeing how far you can get should be fun.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A nasty (bug I think) thing about EMP immune armor is that it takes damage instead. about 25hp or so of it for cydocysts.

EDIT: ACK! When did the QAC become military (got one confiscated)! Is there a non-millitary item that can defeat the Iocrym (Why yes, the penitent cannon :( )? Is there a non-military shield that can stand up to the Iocrym?

EDIT2:

Have you ever tried the Trenton field generator! It is IMMUNE to Particle beam cannons and all low damage weapons. Thanks to my crystal it also reflects Ion too! Furthermore the alien shields appear to be non-millitary. With a few more longhuzus on my X-ray (can't wait to get +250% on that thing) I might have a chance.

EDIT3: Stunted by the fact that 250MW is military. I am surprised how much equipment is military.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think all the alien tech is military, but the hyperion reactor is not. QAC upfate was in .96 or so.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The Iocrym deflector at Tailkon's (unidentified) did not have a military flag. Hope to find a Hyperion reactor to do the job of a 250MW (and run the Iocrym shields). If I don't find one though, then I also qualify for the 100MW (possibly 150MW) reactor challenge.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You can order a hyperion from the corporate trading post. It's crazy expensive, but it's easier than hunting ferians for one.
> = = = = ۞
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

LOL. But I will need to hunt ferrians to make the creds, too I think.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well, yeah. But it's still far easier to get credits than rins, at least until you find Teratons.

I think in my past three or four late-games, I've found a hyperion as loot once and ordered it three times. Who needs ringer shipyards? :P
> = = = = ۞
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Code: Select all

ItemType UNID="&itIocrymVeil;"
			name=				"Iocrym veil"
			level=				"9"
			value=				"100000"
			mass=				"5000"
			frequency=			"rare"
			unknownType=		"&itUnknownAlienDevice;"
			modifiers=			"Alien; MajorItem; Military"

description=		"This byzantine alien device generates a particle shield that absorbs most energy weapons."
			>

<Image imageID="&rsItems1;" imageX="192" imageY="0" imageWidth="96" imageHeight="96"/>

<Shields
				hitPoints=		"250"
				absorbAdj=		"100,100,100,100, 100,100,100,100, 100,100,100,100, 100,100,100,100"
				damageAdj=		" 10, 10, 30, 30,  70, 70, 95, 95, 150,150,225,225, 300,300,375,375"
				regenTime=		"30"
				regenHP=		"10"
				depletionDelay=	"24"
				powerUse=		"2000"
				/>

</ItemType>

<!-- Jotun Deflector -->

<ItemType UNID="&itJotunDeflector;"
			name=				"Jotun deflector"
			level=				"9"
			value=				"110000"
			mass=				"5000"
			frequency=			"rare"
			unknownType=		"&itUnknownAlienDevice;"
			modifiers=			"Alien; MajorItem; Military"

description=		"This alien shield generator has controls to adjust its strength."
			>

<Image imageID="&rsItems1;" imageX="192" imageY="0" imageWidth="96" imageHeight="96"/>

<Shields
				hitPoints=		"100"
				absorbAdj=		"100,100,100,100, 100,100,100,100, 100,100,100,100, 100,100,100,100"
				damageAdj=		" 10, 10, 30, 30,  70, 70, 95, 95, 150,150,225,225, 300,300,375,375"
				regenTime=		"30"
				regenHP=		"8"
				depletionDelay=	"24"
				powerUse=		"1200"

HPBonusPerCharge=	"100"
				powerBonusPerCharge="600"
				maxCharges=		"3"
				/>

<Invoke installedOnly="true">
			(block (charges chargesDelta newStrength maxCharges)
				(setq charges (shpGetItemCharges gSource gItem))
				(setq maxCharges 3)

(if (ls charges maxCharges)
					(setq chargesDelta 1)
					(setq chargesDelta (subtract 0 maxCharges))
					)

(shpRechargeItem gSource gItem chargesDelta)
				(objSendMessage gSource Nil (cat "Deflector strength at level " (add (add charges chargesDelta) 1)))
				)
			</Invoke>
		</ItemType>
looks like the alien shields are military, you just don't see that until you install one
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Is that true also with unidentified weapons? Guess I will be stuck with a penitent cannon and a 100MW after all.

Unless there are any other special non-millitary weapons.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

yes it is, but you can get a hyperion, and jumpdrives are non-mil. I recommend insane missile spam from a malkolv.

EDIT: the Kytryn plasma thrower is not military, but good luck finding a level 12 item in an unmodded game.
Last edited by (name here) on Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Will do once I finish these frags off. Except if I can't get shields or weapons I'll stick with the 100MW and upgrade it with heliotrope fuel to use the JD for the reactor challenge as well. Will Longhuzu's work on a penitent cannon? If not, I might as well face the Iocrym sooner than later (Gem of Despair), since I can't do much else (I am at point juno and can't deal with Ares Shipyards or any other base that has weapons or nastier ships than I am facing now so I can't really clear systems).
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The 150MW reactor is not military.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

But it wouldn't help me any either.

UPDATE: I found a weapon to fight the Iocrym with! The GoS! After numerous savescums (yeah, I know) I figured out how to save the Antarctica. (you can't blow it, Decker won't give you let you on his ship) I finally got it. Now all I need is a weapon that has at least 1% on its armor and a 1M/i auton.

Btw, I used all of my missile spam on the aquillas.
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I thought you weren't allowed to savescum? :wink: Lemme go check the challenge rules again...

But good job anyways!
>.<